Wednesday, October 3, 2012

To My Peanut...

Oh Stella...you are growing so quickly.  I cannot believe how fast the time flies now that you have entered our lives!  Already, you are almost 16 months old...soon transitioning to your next room at daycare.  You have been walking now for nearly a month, very rarely crawling these days.  Still not much in the way of words, but I am sure that once you start talking, there may be no stopping you!  Your personality is just so much fun to watch develop (even those...ahem...wonderful toddler temper tantrums).  I want so much for you.  So much that I never had.  And I hope many of the lessons I've learned in life, I can pass on to you and spare you from having to learn them yourself.

  • Don't give up.  Don't ever give up.  I've done this.  I've done this many times.  And have regretted it.  
  • Don't let anyone tell you you can't do something.  You can.  
  • Don't ever let anyone tell you you aren't good enough.
  • Don't settle.  Settling will only make you miserable in the long run.
  • Please take care of your health.  I know when you're young, you think nothing bad will ever happen to you.  You are young and invincible.  We have all felt like that at some point.  
    • Don't smoke...honestly?  Don't even just try it.  I did that.  I smoked for many years.  Not proud of that at all.  
    • I know you tan easily.  You are blessed in that way...but still?  Use sunscreen.  Don't end up scarred like your mom!
    • Drinking...if you must...practice moderation.  I am not sure I have ever figured it out (nor many of my relatives)...drinking to excess does not lead to good things happening.
    • Exercise - great stress relief!  Definitely better than smoking and/or drinking!
  • We will do what we are able to to make sure that you get a good education.  Please do not slack off in high school like your mother did!  One of my biggest regrets is doing that and then not going to college right out of high school.  Yes, college is not for everyone...and we won't push it if you truly don't want to go, but our hope is that you do (just please...if you love us, don't go to Michigan!).
  • Speak up when you're not happy.
  • Speak up when you see something that is not right.
  • Don't go along just to go along - be your own person, don't let others tell you who you should be.
  • Respect your parents, but don't fear us.  Fear will only lead to resentment when you're older.  
There is definitely more to add to this but (here's another lesson) - sleep is important and your mommy has definitely be behind on it lately!

Most importantly...know that Mommy and Daddy love you...and always will no matter what!

No comments:

Post a Comment