Saturday, October 13, 2012

eBook Review: Solstice: A Novel of the Zombie Apocalypse (Donna Burgess)

I am all about the zombies these days.  Addicted to The Walking Dead (AMC on Sundays nights).  I am watching it right now actually since they are running them back to back with the new season starting tomorrow night.  I've read World War Z (for all the raves I've heard, wasn't that impressed) and I've read various other zombie-type and/or end of the world type novels.  And, gotta say, Zombieland is one of the most awesome movies ever!  And I'd also recommend Patient Zero - it is the first book in the Joe Ledger series - not a zombie series, but a series about a special ops type group...the first book, though, is all about zombies.

Solstice...another end of the world zombie story.  As far as zombie stories go, it's not the worst...nor is it the greatest.  For some reason, as soon as the zombies start talking (yes the zombies in this book talk), it kinda takes a little away for me.  I don't know why...maybe it's because the zombies are really only supposed to have the most basic function left of their brain...and that does not include speech (or memory - which some of the zombies in this book seem to possess).  Overall, there is a core group of characters - at least one that actually wanted me to cheer when she finally bought it (and was almost disappointed in how it went down).  All about trying to survive in the end of the world.  This story has it's only little twist on the zombie apocalypse and the precipitating events...and it is pretty far out there compared to some of the others (total darkness all the time...almost as if the sun were snuffed out...and the world plunged into another ice age).  I think the author threw a little extra elements into the story that could have either been left out (the marauders..., or she should have further told that part of the story.  I am really not a fan of stories where the author dwells too much on a few parts which in turn causes the author to run through, fast forward or skip over other parts.  It just feels so...incomplete I guess you could say.  And too many do this.  It just leaves me wanting more and/or pissed off!

As a whole, this wasn't an entirely bad book, not regretting the time I spent reading it but it could have been a little better, not so rushed through in a few parts and too much dwelling in other parts.  I'd recommend it if you are looking for a simple read, or another telling of the zombie apocalypse.  

No comments:

Post a Comment