Saturday, October 27, 2012

Oat Bran Muffins...Yum!!


Photobucket


This morning's attempt at cooking. And it was good. Again, this is from the Try-It Diet, Eating Clean eCookbook (okay...seriously...this book is CHEAP...and there are recipes in here that I am likely not to try because I don't care for the particular ingredients - so buy it!)

Ingredients:
1 cup 100% whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup crushed bran flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup Sucanat (I gave up trying to find this and used *gasp!* good ol' sugar instead)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 egg whites
1 egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (see my post last night about this yummy stuff)
1 tablespoon canola oil (I used vegetable oil)
3 tablespoons agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup dry rolled oats (I always have a large container of oats on hand...this is what Stella and I have for breakfast most mornings)


  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.  Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper baking cups (since I had no clue whether this would working for me or not given my baking history, I bought a 'disposable' tin with paper liners).
  2. Combine flower, bran flakes, flaxseed, Sucanat (or sugar), baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.  Add egg whites, eggs, applesauce, almond milk, canola (or vegetable) oil, agave nectar, and vanilla and mix well (no need to get out the electric mixer though).
  3. Pour muffin mix evenly into each of the muffin cups.
  4. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of oats over top, and press down lightly.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the center of  a muffin comes out clean.
And the nutrition facts (if you follow the recipe without making my subs):
Calories:  114
Fat:  4 g
Protein:  3 g
Sodium:  182 mg
Fiber:  3 g
Carbs:  18 g
Sugar:  13 g

As a side note...despite the healthiness, Stella really liked it!  I ended up eating two, because she kept taking bites!

3 comments:

  1. Looks tasty! If you want to completely eliminate the sugar without finding the sucanat, I make this recipe: http://www.farmgirlfare.com/2007/02/back-into-bran-muffins.html
    It has honey and molasses instead of sugar. Not sure if honey is considered clean or not, but at least it's not refined or anything, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie...this whole cooking thing, while not entirely foreign to me, is a challenge. I have never been a very domestic person, and trying to get better now that I have Stella as well as my own healthy goals! I am going to have to go through your blog a bit more to look for some good recipes now that I am back to this blogging thing!

      Delete