Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Why do people continue to be so stupid?

I came across this article today...and really, it does make me wonder why so many of us lack common sense with something as simple as protecting our skin?  I admit I was, and continue to be to a certain extent, stupid about protecting my skin.  I used a tanning bed from the age of 17 or 18 until 32....when I had this done:

my arm


That was taken a day or two after I had a large chunk of flesh removed (this was in 2005) from my forearm to make sure the melanoma found on the surface had not spread (I was luck that it didn't).  More recently, I had a bit of skin scraped from the other forearm to remove a basal cell carcinoma.  So now I'm scared on both forearms thanks to my need to change the color of my skin.  I haven't touched a tanning bed since I was 32, but still...I am lax about my use of sunscreen and I have had burns in recent years (my legs, in particular) that have me in fear of what is going to show up at some point and what further scars I will add to the collection. 

When I was young (think late teens) I remember joking that at least I could choose which cancer I would get - lung or skin (I smoked for many years, too).  Now, I can't help but think was I really that stupid?  Yep.  And so many people continue to be.  Smoking is hard to quit, I get that...I do.  But what I don't get is why so many people have a hard time quitting the tanning bed.  I mean, if you think about it...so many people use the tanning beds because they think a tan looks better.  Um...do they also find scars attractive?  And let's not forget the thing that was/is 'tanning mom'.  Is that what people want to look like?  Do people find that attractive (and yes, I have seen people like that in 'real life').  But people just don't listen, they just don't care.  They really don't think it will ever happen to them, until it does.  And when it does, they better hope they caught it in time like I did.  And then, like me, they can worry for the rest of their lives about it coming back (becuase chances are pretty good that it will) and when it does, will it be caught in time.  Where will it show up next? 

I only hope I can drive home the importance of skin protection to my daughter.  Yes, she is blessed with skin that tans quite easily since she is biracial...but that doesn't mean she is immune to melanoma.  No one is completely...just some are more at risk than others.

2 comments:

  1. "When I was young (think late teens) I remember joking that at least I could choose which cancer I would get - lung or skin (I smoked for many years, too). Now, I can't help but think was I really that stupid?" I have made that comment many times myself, more along the lines of "Something is going to kill me, might as well enjoy myself." I don't tan, but I do occasionally smoke, and its such a nasty and deadly habit. Wish I'd made smarter choices as a kid, and wouldn't still be suffering the addiction as an adult!

    ReplyDelete