Tuesday, September 25, 2012

App Review: Workout Trainer by skimble.com

Pretty sure I briefly mentioned this app in a post from the other day but wanted to mention it again now that I have had a chance to try it out.  I have the app downloaded to both my cell phone (a Samsung Galaxy that I am not a fan of...I really miss my EVO) and my Kindle Fire (LOVE)!  I found it while just doing a search on different fitness apps available, liked what I saw and downloaded it.

I finally tried a workout this past Sunday after my cardio.  This is the actual workout I did and I gotta say...for a 25 minute workout, it was pretty good!  Almost like a condensed version of the boot camp class I take at the Y a few nights a week.  Some of the features I like about the app are the workout preview so you can check out the entire workout before starting it...this also includes step by step instructions of each of the moves.  A 'trainer' will talk you through the entire workout (the voice is rather annoying, but it is what it is...you could upgrade to the 'pro' version for a few more trainer options).  Rest periods are built into each workout, and it gives you a calorie count (estimated) that accumulates as the workout progresses.  There are so many different workouts available on the free version, I am not sure an upgrade to the pro version will ever be necessary!  You can choose from three different intensity levels, search for workouts based on the area you wish to workout; search by cardio, weights, full body, running, yoga, etc.  I've even come across P90X workouts, CrossFit WODs, army-type workouts...even just a two-minute drill like wall sits or planks.

I think this app really takes away more excuses for people not to workout.  There are short workouts, long workouts, workouts that require no extra equipment...really...no excuses not to workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment