Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review: Kindle Fire HD & Otterbox case

Been awhile since I've posted a review of anything...book, clothing, shoes, equipment, food, etc.  Actually, I've been slacking as a whole with the blogging thing...in case you haven't noticed.  So I'm going to do a little catch up...I mean, hey, Christmas and year end bonus has come and gone (and trust me...that bonus is definitely gone) so obviously I am going to have some new purchases to review!

Let's start with:

Kindle Fire HD (7")

My third kindle.  It has become something of a tradition between my husband and myself.  Third Christmas in a row he has bought me a kindle (first one was the 'regular' one, second was the original Fire and now this one).  Love!  I don't have the largest one - size-wise or memory-wise, but it suits my needs just fine.  I really have no need for an iPad.  I am happy the latest version has a camera.  It seems...faster?...than my first Fire.  There are some differences between the two...the new one is thinner...reminds me a lot of my husband's Samsung Galaxy (I suppose that they are actually quite similar).  

What don't I like about it?  Not much...really...I read a lot, and that was the original intent of the kindle is to satisfy that need/want and free up space I was taking up with all of my books.  There are a few things, however, that I am not all that excited about.  One being battery life...yes, it does still last a couple of days.  However, one of that awesome tings about my original Kindle (pre-Fire days) is that the battery would quite literally last a month before needing to be charged (unless it was in the lighted case and the light was on).  The other?  The camera.  yes...the addition to the new Fire that I was really excited about.  It just leaves me wanting more.

So with the new Kindle Fire, I found it necessary to be a complimentary case for it...one that could stand up to my toddler (and me, for that matter).  I found one.  And it is awesome.  It is an OtterBox case.  LOVE it.  Not just love it...I LOVE it.  Yes...it is heavier...much heavier.  Don't care.  As much as I tend to drop things (it is a wonder that i didn't kill the last Kindle Fire...but it survived to be  passed on to my mom), this was necessary.  I didn't need something to keep it nice...I needed something to protect it from being dropped on the floor, handled by a toddler, etc.  Yes...it was pricier than the other covers.  Yes, it was back-ordered when I initially ordered.  But, in my opinion...worth.every.penny.  It is pure awesomeness.  Although...I will admit that it took me some time to initially figure out how to open that damn thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment