Friday, October 26, 2012

My lone solely political post - reposted from my current facebook status

And of course, I have cleaned this up a bit since the original status update was done from my Kindle Fire.

I have been too busy today at work to get to much of anything else but I am posting my thoughts here rather than add this to many other status update on everyone else's pages from throughout the day, because the political bullshit is really getting deep on both sides and everywhere in between. 

Here are my thoughts: leave the candidate bashing to the candidates. Don't tell me what you think the other guy is not doing or doing wrong. Don't tell me something that can't be backed up with a legitimate source. Tell me why i should consider your candidate. AGAIN: legitimate sources, legitimate reasons not the most convoluted reasons you can come up with (for example, I cannot believe the number of people that still believe the POTUS is a Muslim...and honestly, even if he was...what of it?). Don't tell me that everyone who supports the guy opposite your candidate is stupid no matter who you favor (while I see this primarily from those on the conservative/republican side, I understand that it does go both directions). I have deleted people the past couple of months because of bullshit like this they have posted on their walls. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...free country right? And just because there is such a thing as freedom of speech doesn't mean you need to get on here (meaning facebook, or any other social networking site for that matter) and spew nastiness. I witnessed plenty of it in the office where I was employed during the 2008 election (including a 'higher up' that walked into the office the day after the election and stated "I suppose we now have to call the 'White House' the 'Black House'.   And I am seeing much of that same nastiness here (facebook) now.  Get over yourselves people and show respect to all of your 'friends' on facebook!





One more thing to add that I didn't include when I posted this as my status update on facebook.  Whatever happened to political discussion being taboo.  Wasn't there a time where any political or religious conversations were to be avoided - I am guessing primarily to avoid the rudeness so many of us are now witness to?  I'm guessing facebook, twitter, etc. has apparently put an end to that as with most other manners these days.  Sad.

2 comments:

  1. love this post, but I am glad discussion isn't taboo. I think respectful discussion can help unify us as we see people with different views also have a lot in common with us. In my opinion, the problem lies in our collective inability to listen to each other and agree to respectfully disagree instead of shouting louder with meaner insults hoping to convince everyone else that they are "wrong."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem, I think...no one knows how to respectfully disagree, everyone would rather insult one another. Not very productive.

      Delete