Friday, October 19, 2012

Why I will likely not go see Alex Cross...

I love to read.  A lot.  I read a little bit of everything.  Books that require thought, those that make me laugh (out loud), make me cry, piss me off, etc.  Those that are quite involved, and quick reads to pass the time on a flight, long car ride, long nights with a sleepless child, etc.  For many years, I have been a big James Patterson...love him or hate him (I recently saw a review of a Patterson book that pretty much says he employs a factory of writers given the rate at which he churns out books (and almost always, it is not just his name on the cover)).  I am particular fond of his Alex Cross series.  I have been reading this books for more than 15 years now.

Many years ago, someone had the brilliant idea of turning one of Mr. Patterson's Alex Cross books into a movie.  All well and good.  The fast pace of his books wouldn't be hard to translate into a movie.  As long as the right actor was picked to play the role of Alex Cross.  Unfortunately, years ago, when the first stab at a book to move was 'Kiss the Girls', this did not happen.  Nope.  You read Mr. Patterson's description of Alex Cross (which pretty much occurs in every novel) and you see something like this: tall, athletic, good looking, 40ish, resembles Mohammed Ali.  Just my opinion...but this most definitely does not describe Morgan Freeman.  Nor did it lend to a believable romance between Alex Cross and the female lead played by Ashley Judd.  Nothing against Morgan Freeman, but someone definitely missed the boat on that casting decision.  So bad was that decision that I never did see the move 'Along Came a Spider' - another early Alex Cross novel.

Fast forward to today - a third book in the Alex Cross series has been turned into a movie...released this week.  And while Morgan Freeman is no longer in the role of Alex Cross, another poor casting decision was made in the form of Tyler 'Madea' Perry.  He definitely was not who I pictured when reading the books.  He has played the role of Madea one too many times for me to picture him in another role...especially a 'serious' role.  Can't do it.  Of course, it doesn't help that the movie has altered Alex Cross' background a little bit.  According to one review I read, he was formerly an up and coming star in the Detroit Police Department.  Nope....totally incorrect.  Always Washington D.C.

While I have focused in on the Alex Cross series, as a whole, I am not a fan of seeing most books I have read turned into a movie.  Usually they do not translate well.  At all.  'I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell' is a great example of this.  The book was effing hilarious!  It was awesome!  So great, my husband had to read it as well...and proceeded to circulate it around work.  We were excited to see it turned into a movie.  And then quickly disappointed when we saw this movie.  *sigh*  Always so disappointing...if I loved a book, chances are I am not going to see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment