Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fruit-Stuffed French Toast sandwiches

From the Try-It Diet:  Eating Clean:  A Two-Week Healthy Eating Plan
(F+W Media, Inc.)

4 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp vanilla almond milk (first time trying it was yesterday...never realized this stuff was so yummy)
2 tbsp agave nectar
4 slices sprouted grain bread (I am lazy, didn't search for that, used my old stand by:  Aunt Millie's fat free whole wheat)
8 tbsp sugar-free fruit spread (I went for reduced sugar concord grape Welch's) (and I didn't measure out, just spread it on)
1 cup nonfat Greek-style yogurt (oops...used plain...and again didn't measure out)
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1 sliced banana

Spray large skillet with olive oil cooking spray, place over medium heat.  Whisk together eggs, almond milk, agave nectar.  Evenly coat both sides of each slide of bread and place in the skillet (I didn't one at a time since I used a medium skillet).  Cook each slice until lightly browned on each side then remove from eat.  Spread the fruit spread evenly on side of all bread slices, followed by a thin layer of yogurt on all bread slices (since I used regular yogurt rather than Greek, it wasn't as thick and basically mixed with the fruit spread).  Layer the strawberries and bananas (and give the leftover slices to your toddler).  Close the sandwiches, place back in the skillet, pressing down on each one slightly.  Cook 2-3 minutes each side.

Enjoy!

About the book - I am finding with many of the recipe books I have downloading, the recipes themselves skip a step or two leaving the reader to figure it out on their own (which is not a big deal for people that cook regularly...I don't, but am trying to make that attempt).  I actually downloaded one that all the measurements were cut off.  I deleted that one.  I have a few other health eating cookbooks (including a vegetarian one) that I have downloaded that appear to have some yummy recipes!

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Looks like Stella enjoyed it as well:
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Could have been the messiness factor:
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

2 comments:

  1. Omgggg this looks amazing! I just bookmarked this recipe, yumm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a try! I am sure it is even better following the instructions!

      (and if you aren't already doing the 'clean eating' thing...the book itself is a cheap download...I've now tried three recipes from there...I just need to tweak them each a bit)

      Delete